From concerts to the Chamber of Deputies and back
One of the most important architectural buildings in Prague was created between the years of 1876–1884 as a multipurpose cultural center, which in honor of the Crown Prince Rudolf received the name Rudolfinum. The Concert Hall – now Dvořák Hall – was used by the Czech Philharmonic from January 4, 1896, when, under the leadership of a conductor and composer, Antonín Dvořák first performed. The Rudolfinum served its cultural mission until 1919, when it was turned into the Chamber of Deputies of the Republic of Czechoslovakia. During the Second World War, the concert activities of the Rudolfinum resumed. However, the full rehabilitation of the buildings, especially the gallery section, occurred in 1992 when the Rudolfinum became the seat of the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra and the Galerie Rudolfinum, after its general reconstruction by the architect Karel Prager.