The area of the castle, which lies near the Polish and German border in North Bohemia, is still accessible in the same way as two hundred years ago: over a drawbridge. The road continues to climb up from the Swedish courtyard to the great château courtyard, and then along a steep path up to the castle. The castle interiors offer reminders of the prominent owner, warrior Albrecht of Valdštejn, and the knight hall with portraits of the owners from the Clam-Gallas family. There is an armoury, a collection of pipes, representative château rooms, chambers, bathrooms, or a kitchen. All the spaces are furnished with original furniture, paintings, and china. The tour also includes the Renaissance château Chapel of St. Anne.
The history of the landmark is exceptional. In 1278, the estate was acquired by the Bibrštejn family, who considerably contributed to the construction of a massive castle palace. In the 16th and 17th century, Frýdlant belonged to the Redern family, who continued improving the Frýdlant estate. They were skilful farmers and warriors, as well as builders and art promoters. They had the new Renaissance château and the chapel built. Between 1622-1634, Frýdlant belonged to Albrecht of Valdštejn, and the Frýdlant region used to be called Terra felix - a happy land. In 1801, the current owners, the Clam-Gallas family, made a part of the castle accessible to the public, and thus the first castle and château museum in Europe was created.
In 2017, during the mud removal from the château pond, a collection of 42 coins, mostly gold, from the 16th and 17th century were discovered. Someone hid them in the pond about 370 years ago. Money was commonly used in Frýdlant and its surroundings, and one could purchase a large number of cattle or property. The treasure became a part of the new château exposition.