Boskovice’s Maior Synagogue was erected in the first half of the 17th century by the Italian builder Silvestr Fiota. Thanks to the quality of its construction it remains intact to this day without major changes. It is one of the oldest and best preserved Jewish historical monuments in the Czech Republic and the whole of Europe.
The synagogue, which features a rectangular layout, impressive exterior masonry and broad gabled roof, was built in 1639. Since then it has undergone several significant reconstruction jobs. The decorations in the main hall were painted in the second half of the 17th century. The adjacent nave, the entrance to the women’s section, with a spiral staircase, and the choir platform were added later. The synagogue was electrified in the 20th century. During the war it was used as a store, first of items seized from deported Jews and later of building and other materials. The most recent renovation was completed in 2011–2014. Today the synagogue is an accessible cultural historical landmark, hosting literary, musical and theatre events.