Visit the unique Baroque area of Mariánská Týnice with the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. It is a former provostry of the Cistercian monastery in nearby Plasy. Today, the area is used for museum and artistic purposes. It is the seat of the Museum and Gallery of the North Plzen Region.
A look into historyThe area with the adjacent land used to belong to the monastery in Plasy from the 13th century. The area was restored after the Thirty Years’ War when various armies trekked through Europe and many historical monuments were destroyed. At the end of the 17th century, the abbot of the Plasy monastery had the church rebuilt and extended and added other buildings that now form the area of Mariánská Týnice. The deed of foundation of 1669 issued by the abbot states that the provostry is to serve to “spread the worship of the Virgin Mary in the local church and to provide for brothers of the Order, namely the retired ones”. This applied until the second half of the 20th century when the area of Mariánská Týnice became dilapidated, just like other religious buildings, because the communist government in Czechoslovakia did not support religious monuments. The area was used by a military crew for storage of military material.
Church of the Assumption of the Virgin MaryAs like many other buildings, the design of this church was indirectly influenced by genial Baroque architect Jan Santini Aichel. The foundation stone of the church was laid in 1711, but it was not completed until 1762. About twenty years later, the monastery in Plasy as well as the Marian pilgrimage site in Týnice were abolished. The building quickly became dilapidated and in the 20th century the copula and a part of the vaults of the church collapsed. However, the degradation was stopped thanks to the hard work of the people, the whole area was gradually reconstructed and a new copula was erected in 2005.
Today’s mission of the areaThe exposition of the Museum and Gallery of the North Plzen Region in Mariánská Týnice focuses on the development of the history of West Bohemia. You can tour the permanent expositions about the history of Mariánská Týnice and the cult of the Virgin Mary, whom the area was dedicated to, the historical development of West Bohemia, as well as the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and the ethnographic exposition where you can visit an old school, learn about Czech folk customs and about beekeeping. The exposition of cast iron stoves made in the 19th century by the Metternich Metallurgical Works in Plasy is also of interest.
There are also many exhibitions and cultural events, such as concerts, theatre performances, etc. A guided tour is provided to groups with more than 10 people. There is a printed guide available for individuals and foreigners.
Mariánská Týnice 1, 331 41 Kralovice