The Jewish cemetery in Třebíč is an enormously valuable historical landmark displaying a number of historical styles. Its origins date to the 17th century, when it was built on the site of an older cemetery that was shut down. It is a place of deep meditation and evocative scenery.
The Jewish cemetery in Třebíč is one of the best preserved and largest Jewish cemeteries in the Czech Republic, it is the burial place of approximately 11,000 people. It contains examples of late Renaissance, Baroque and Classicist tombstones, while the oldest single tombstone dates from 1631. The very good condition of the cemetery is credited to a local man named Pavlík and his friends and pupils, who at their own initiative tended it from 1981 to 1998. With its aspect, level of preservation and the mysterious power of its closely arranged, ivy-covered tombstones, it is as if Třebíč’s Jewish cemetery were made for contemplation and remembrance.
Třebíč Jewish Cemetery