Villa Müller (also known as Loosova vila)
An important Prague
villa commissioned by František Müller and designed by Adolf Loos
. The villa was completed in 1930, and thus is an example of true functionalis
m. For the villa, Loos used not only functionalist ideas, but also his own distinct approach
, in which he did not divide the space into individual floors, but the rooms blend together across different levels. The installation of original furnishings
allows visitors to fully comprehend Loos' approach to furnishing and creating an environment for the lives of the villa's residents. This villa is also open to the public upon prior reservation with the City of Prague Museum.
Not far from Pra
gue Castle, Villa Bílek in Prague
is a two-storey building that Art Nouveau artist František Bílek had built in 1911 as his residence and studio
. The villa illustrates the artist's conception of a corn field, and its unconventional floor plan is derived from the shape of a scythe. The brickwork masonry walls are broken up by large columns reminiscent of sheaves of corn. The villa's interiors
, including the furniture, are also the work of Bílek
. Today, visitors can tour Bílek's studio
, and admire his work.
This beautiful villa, which is practically a part of Pra
gue Castle, is located in the St Wenceslaus Vineyard
. The best way to get to the villa is from the Castle, and on your way, you can enjoy the beautiful views of the historical panoramas of Prague
. It is actually one of the few places from where you can see almost all of Prague's bridges. Today, the villa hosts a restaurant, so the views from the terrace can be properly savoured.
This important yet somewhat forgotten Prague
villa underwent renovations in recent years, restoring its original appearance from the 1950s. Otto Rothmayer was an architect, and built this villa for himself and his family. As an architect, he followed in the footsteps of his teacher, Josip Plečnik, in the reconstruction of the interiors of the Prague Castle
. The villa was built in a very distinctive modernist style, and can be toured only upon prior reservation with the City of Prague Museum.
There is probably no villa in the Czech Republic more famous than Brn
o's Villa Tugendhat
, which is included in the UNESCO
cultural heritage list for its uniqueness. The villa was built in 1929-1930 according to the designs of architect Ludwig Miese van der Rohe
for Mr and Mrs Tugendhat. It has been labelled one of Miese van der Rohe's most significant pre-war works
, which set new standards for modern living.
It is the fundamental work of international modern architecture – functionalis
m. The villa is open to visitors, who can tour the renowned functionalist interiors
, the building's technical facilities
, as well as the landscaped garden.
This urban villa in Brn
o, with its generous garden, was completed in 1928 according to the designs of Ernest Wiesner
, and is one illustration of the international importance of Brno's architecture of the inter-war period. The grandiose project divided the house into residential and service areas, so that the members of the family were not disturbed by the domestic staff, yet all of the facilities were perfectly interconnected. There is even a special room for luggage
and a room for storing women's fur coats.
Unfortunately, the family was only able to enjoy the house ten years – prior to World War II, they were forced to flee from the Nazi regime. The villa is open to the public on the weekend throughout the year.
Built in 1906, the three-storey Jurkovič House in Brn
o is one of the most significant monuments of Art Nouveau architecture
in the city. The design of the house is an extraordinary combination of the influences of Central European folk culture
, principles of British Modernism
, and Viennese Art Nouveau
. The architect of both the exterior and interiors is Dušan Jurkovič
, who designed and had the house built for himself and his family. The reconstructed villa with its surrounding garden are managed by the Moravian Galler
y in Brno, and houses a permanent exhibit.
This villa near Kolín
in Central Bohemia
was built in 1912-1914 by landowner Adolf Bauer. The project was taken on by architect Josef Gočár
, who utilised the new Cubis
t style for his design. Of interest is the fact that this style was highly unusual for its countryside environment. The current owner had this cultural monument restored to its former appearance. The villa currently houses a museum and gallery of Cubist design.
The villa and its adjacent garden in Česká Skalice
(a city on the border of North
and East Bohemia
) is a gem of pre-World War II Czech architecture.
This representational two-storey house is set in an expansive garden that features a large decorative pool, with gazebos and pergolas, which transforms into an English park on the far ends of the garden. Today, the villa is used for non-profit purposes, as well as guest accommodations. The villa is famous for being the filming site of a movie based on the work of president and writer Václav Havel.